Marine collagen, why is marine collagen better than bovine and porcine?

All

Europe, United States

2 min to read

There is a wide range of collagen products on the market, but not all collagens have the same source, nor are they suitable for certain types of dietary requirements. Many collagens come from livestock production (beef, pork, chicken), while others come from marine sources (fish, shellfish, jellyfish).

The evidence for why collagen from fish is better than that from beef or other animal collagens is detailed below.

 

Fish collagen has a higher level of bioavailability Fish collagen peptides have been shown to be 1.5 times easier to digest, absorb and distribute throughout the body. This means that marine collagen is more efficiently assimilated in the body and shows higher bioavailability than collagen of bovine or porcine origin.

 

Type I Collagen Marine collagen is mostly type I collagen, which is the most abundant collagen in the human body. This type of collagen is well known to be the main collagen in bones, tendons, ligaments, the cornea, and in many connective tissues. Type I collagen makes up 85% of human skin, while type III collagen makes up the remaining 15%.

 

Fish collagen is rich in amino acids Fish collagen is rich in glycine, proline, and hydroxyproline amino acids. These amino acids are better absorbed by the human body when compared to other types of collagen. They stimulate the cells of the skin, bones and connective tissues, while helping the production of new collagen. Marine collagen from the skin of wild and deep-sea (cold-water) fish also has a higher content of essential amino acids compared to other fish or animal collagens.

Fish collagen is better for the environment

  • Wild fish is a low carbon footprint food. It takes between 1 and 5 kg of carbon to produce every kilogram of wild caught fish. By comparison, it is estimated that red meat production requires between 50 and 750 kg of carbon per kilogram of meat. By-products of beef or pork for the use of collagen are more than abundant, however, the livestock sector plays an important role in climate change. The production of wild-caught marine collagen peptides has a lower carbon footprint than that of bovine or porcine collagen peptides.

  • Fish collagen is an excellent choice for most diets. Marine collagen is a viable alternative solution for pescetarians who do not consume red or white meat and are therefore unable to enjoy the health benefits of fish. standard collagen supplements. Oceancoll is a sustainable marine collagen derived from fish skin that is suitable for pescetarians. It is an excellent supplement to most dietary options, including the Paleo diet. Our marine collagen is manufactured in a food production facility that only makes collagen from fish, and where no collagen from beef or pork is processed. Therefore, any possible cross contamination is avoided, while making our collagen a Halal certified product.

All

Europe, United States

Share it

Share on facebook